Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Sub Schedules Under Review


The pointy heads at the Sub Med Lab have started discussing the possibility of changing watch schedules underway on the boats. The ostensible reason for looking at the change is to allow greater rest time for our valiant undersea warriors.

While I certainly like the idea of giving bubbleheads more down time, I have my concerns too. I just don't want to hear about how this proposed move will lead to skimmer style reveille. I also don't care for the way the Navy Times article throws around the term "time off." My time off from watch was typically filled with quals and my "other" job. Sleep was third on the list. I wonder what Naval Reactionaries will have to say about having nukes to stand an additional 2 hours of watch.

With over 100 years of experience in sub ops under our belt, I'm sure we can come up with a good collection of watch stories that deal with the length of watches.

I seem to recall that the WWII boats used a different schedule than what we had in the fleet in the 90's. Anybody care to shed some light on the topic?

No comments: